Job Title & Description: R&D Lead/Senior Scientist
This role presents an opportunity for a driven individual to lead an R&D team in an exciting young venture. The successful individual will lead and manage a small science-based R&D team consisting of chemists, physicists and engineers through the research, development, iteration, and implementation of innovative rapid sensor devices in Ekidna Sensing’s products. Leading Ekidna’s R&D efforts will include opportunities for IP generation, stakeholder interactions, and development of new sensing capabilities. We are looking for a hands-on individual who is excited to be involved in a senior leadership role in the company, and willing to contribute significantly to the company’s growth. You will play a key role in Ekidna’s R&D efforts, and work to shape the future of the sensors and underlying concepts that drive Ekidna’s business.
About Ekidna Sensing:
Ekidna Sensing Inc, a biotech startup located in Ottawa, is building technology solutions for the legal Cannabis industry. We have developed a rapid, accurate, and portable cannabis testing solution to help licensed producers eliminate production bottlenecks, reduce operational costs, and bring their products to market faster. Ekidna Sensing mission is to democratize industrial testing so that everyone has the information they need to run their operations. Ekidna Sensing is entering a period of rapid growth and offers an exciting opportunity to be a part of a startup with large potential.
- Plan, develop, and direct research activities in line with the company’s business objectives around innovative, portable, and rapid chemical sensor devices
- To be on the lookout for and actively participate in the search for new business and IP opportunities through R&D work
- Work closely with the engineering and marketing teams to ensure each team’s goals are aligned and on track
- Recruit personnel and oversee the growth, training, and mentorship of such R&D staff
- Write technical papers, reports and prepare standards and specifications for processes, white papers, patents, and experiments
- Ensure experimental work is properly recorded, analyzed and reported. Maintain rigorous scientific standards in the R&D team’s work
- Maintain laboratory instruments, supplies, etc to ensure lab runs smoothly and eliminate downtime.
- Manage, maintain, and adhere to R&D budget in conjunction with CEO and vCFO
- Maintain and implement laboratory safety procedures
- Work and communicate with manufacturers, suppliers, and other key partners
- PhD (Science/Engineering) with a focus on electrochemistry, chemical/bio-sensors, organic chemistry, materials science, or related field (or Masters with additional experience), and 3+ years in a managerial R&D role (either in academia or industry)
- Must have extensive wet lab experience
- Experience leading, managing, mentoring, and collaborating with other R&D employees a mustekidnasensing.com• Portfolio of relevant work (publications, patents, white papers, etc)
- Experience with R&D work leading to patent drafting and applications an asset
- Strong background in some of: sensor development, electrochemistry, analytical chemistry, data analysis, material science, simulation, signal processing, small molecule interactions, are all an asset
- Experience with various analytical techniques such as: cyclic voltammetry, NMR, HPLC, spectroscopy, organic synthesis, EIS, etc. all an asset
- Work in Ottawa, Ontario with regular presence in lab/design facilities.
If you would like to apply, please email your CV to email@example.com asap.